Monday, April 04, 2005

A point of annoyance.

While I admired the Pope for his force of character. I at first did not have a problem with the fact that the President ordered that Flag be lowered to half-mast. But as I went around town I began to think, "Is this right?" Since when do we honor a Foreign Head of State? For while he is a religious leader, the Vatican is a sovereign state, lead by the Pope. Are we now going to lower the flag to half-mast when the Dali Lama dies? Or any other religious/ head of state dies, like the Queen of England?

Being curious, I looked it up on the web and learned that it is within the right, if the President wishes under US Code to do this.
(m) ...By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law....

But it still bugs me.

1 comment:

Bluesun · 2600 said...

But in a sense the Flag Blog mentioned by §ÇŌ∏ sort of supports what is bugging me. Most of these are of American's or people working for America. I guess you could argue that the Popes actions to end the cold war are enough in and of its self to warrant this honor. But doing this for a religious leader however poses some problems for me. But I am not taking anything away for Karol Wojtyla(John Paul II)he was a great man.